- Download 0
- File Size 12.00 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date January 4, 2024
- Last Updated January 4, 2024
JANUARY 2024 BOARD MEETING NOTES
BCCA Board Meeting Jan 2, 2024
Called to order by Lourdes at 8:30PM
Present: Lauren Fiorentino, Jeff Huvar, Tony & Liz Aguilar, Ginnie Werner, Indra Seepersaud, Jim Delaney
Absent: John Rey, Rich Hellenbrecht, Mike Mallia, Manny Aranda
Lourdes reported about the CB13 Creedmore meeting she had just attended. Major focus was about density and the fact that community input is being ignored. The meetings that were held were apparently all for show and ESD never intended to abide by input. Whereas the community advised 4-6 stories would be acceptable ESD is planning up to 8 stories with mixed types, e.g. co-op, rental, supportive housing which could include homeless, section 8 and convicted felons. We must be careful not to play any race or discriminatory claims but focus on density, lack of parking, infrastructure and transit issues.
Indra added that there is a YMCA and school across the street and an influx of questionable residents could present danger.
Lourdes again suggested a letter campaign to Vanel, Sen Toby and the Governor. Tony will help with materials along with addresses and bullet points for letters to be written. Suggested to start immediately at Jan 4 meeting with follow ups in March.
Indra suggested front page of March newsletter have something to catch attention and get people to attend the meeting e.g. Save Our Neighborhood or Our Neighborhood Under Attack.
Lourdes - hope to have Brian Block of CB 13 to swear in officers.
Paul Graziano, land use expert, will speak about the City of Yes and impacts on Bellerose. Lourdes will check if he will have a Power Point presentation and if he needs a projector. Jeff said he will being his if needed. Paul may have suggestions on how to fight this.
Do we have a speaker for March? May use the meeting for letter writing instead.
It was suggested that we have a Board meeting in early Feb so we can stay up to date. To be decided.
Are NCO's invited to this Jan meeting? Liz asked for pdf version of newsletter to distribute and it will go to the NCO's.
Lourdes - there will be Public Safety Commission zoom - she will send link. Focus will be on cannabis store licenses.
Tony strongly objected to these stores on a moral basis and how there will be long term affects on our children and grandchildren. Jim advised that right now it is the law of the state so this argument cannot be used as an objection to a license being given. Only can object over location and what the stores are near. Tony believes that the law should be changed. Jim advised that would have to go through the state system.
No raffles at January meeting.
Temple House - awaiting hearing date. Lourdes reported that New Years morning 4AM there were lights on as well as lights in various area in the evenings. Could indicate that there are people living there which is not legal.
CIP south exit onto Hillside exit was brought up. It does not appear that our request for any work is being considered. Jim said it could have been included in the over capital work project being done.
Tony reported two women with small children are begging at the parkway. He feels that CPS should be brought in.
Tony - any progress on reading garden? Jim is confined to home with injured leg. Was told it might be done by the end of November but the project has a June end date. The flag has not been fixed.
Indra reported being approached by a man begging when she was on Winchester from GCP. It was dark and it was very disturbing.
Tony - no updates on tent city - does not seem to be any adverse activity.
Virginia M. Werner
Bellerose Commonwealth Civic Assn Board of Directors 2022-2024